Caramel Banana Cupcakes.
Today my husband is having some of his buddies over for a “OMG-I-haven’t-see-you-in-so-long” get together. We used to host a lot of parties but we’ve been so busy lately that our friends have gotten neglected. In preparation for this party, I decided to make some cupcakes.
This recipe actually comes from Rachael Ray’s magazine. I buy her magazine almost every month because it’s fun to read. I hardly ever try her recipes though because they’re just… umm, weird. However, since Rachael constantly reminds us on her shows that she’s not a baker I figured someone else came up with this recipe. I must be right because these are fabulous cupcakes.
The recipe in the magazine calls for a buttercream but I went with cream cheese because buttercream is not my friend.
|Caramel Banana Cupcakes.||
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 large egg whites
- 5.5 ounces bag soft caramels
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 block cream cheese
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites at medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually mix in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar at high speed until stiff and glossy. Fold the egg whites into the batter until no streaks remain.
- Spoon the batter into the prepated muffin pans, filling each 3/4 of the way. Cut 9 caramels in half and submerge half a piece into each muffin cup of batter. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook the remaining caramels, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup banana, and 1/4 teaspoon salt over medium heat, stirring, until the caramels are melted.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until combined. Add in caramel mixture. Add the powdered sugar slowly until comletely mixed in. Refrigerate until cool. Spread on cupcakes.
adapted from: Everyday with Rachael Ray