March 27, 2009 in chicken
Oh Greek food. We love it. When I was pregnant, we went to this local Greek place called The Purple Cafe at least once a week and every November we go downtown for Greek Fest mainly just to eat. I always get the same thing… falafel and hummus. Because I really am that boring.
A few years ago a friend took me to another Greek place (I swear Mobile has more Greek restaurants than anything) and she just raved and raved about the chicken shawarma. I tried it, loved it, and have been wanting it since then. I was just too scared to make it.
It was so easy though. I hardest part was forking over the $8 for a jar of tahini which by the way, looks absolutely disgusting in the jar. Like a super runny natural peanut butter. Gross.
The sauce was awesome! As I was making it, I was really wishing I’d bought a cucumber so I could make a tzatziki sauce but once it sat for awhile it was delicious! I totally expected my husband to turn his nose up at it, but he slathered his pitas in it!
I made mine kind of like a salad on top of a pita, husband stuffed his pitas, and Landon ate all the components separately. There’s no wrong way to do it!
PS, whole wheat pita recipe coming soon!
from Cooking Light
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 16 (3-inch) strips
1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
2 tablespoons tahini
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced
4 (6-inch) pitas
1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
8 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. To prepare chicken, combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss well to coat. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
3. To prepare sauce, combine yogurt and next 4 ingredients (through 1 garlic clove), stirring with a whisk.
4. Thread 2 chicken strips onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done.
5. Place pitas on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly toasted. Place 1 pita on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1/4 cup lettuce and 2 tomato slices. Top each serving with 4 chicken pieces; drizzle each serving with 2 tablespoons sauce.