May 23, 2009 in breakfast
You already know my obsession with sticky buns. I just can’t control myself. I had no plans of making these this weekend, or making breakfast at all! But then I found myself doing my daily check of the BBA Flickr Group and saw this beautiful braided bread. I’ve always loved braided bread but never knew how to do it so I wondered over to Tammy’s Recipes because she makes lovely challah and 2 recipes above her challah recipe was this caramel pecan roll recipe.
There was no hope for me.
The recipe overall was very simple, the dough was so much easier to work with than other sticky bun or cinnamon roll recipes I’ve tried. I normally have a lot of trouble rolling dough out but this one rolled out no problem.
It was a good recipe, not really what I was expecting. The caramel sauce was really good right out of the oven but hardened very quickly. All you have to do is heat them up again, but I’m kinda lazy these days. Definitely a good recipe though!
- 2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1½-2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoon butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ½ cup chopped or halved pecans
- In large mixer bowl, combine 2 cups flour and 1 tablespoon dry yeast.
- Heat milk, sugar, shortening, and salt till warm (115-120Â°), stirring to melt shortening. Add to dry mixture.
- Add eggs. Mix well by hand and then stir in 1½ to 2 cups flour, making a moderately stiff dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface till smooth (adding more flour as you need it, if needed). Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover; let rise till double.
- Punch down; divide in half. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll each half of sweet roll dough into a 12Ã—8-inch rectangle.
- Brush each with half of the softened butter. Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough.
- Roll up each piece of dough, starting with long side; seal seams. Slice each roll into about 12 pieces.
- In saucepan combine brown sugar, ¼ c butter, and corn syrup. Cook and stir just till butter melts and mixture is blended.
- Distribute mixture evenly in two greased 8-9 inch round baking pans. Top with pecans.
- Place rolls, cut side down, in baking pans (on top of the pecans). Cover; let rise till double.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes. Cool about 30 seconds; invert on rack and remove pans.
from: Tammy’s Recipes