Cranberry Upside Down Cake
You guys hear about that hurricane (errâ€¦ tropical storm)? The one that decided to show up to the party a few months late? Yeah, sheâ€™s currently outside, slamming my screen door open and shut.
Because of Ida, my husbandâ€™s work was called off which means I was stuck inside with both my husband and my 2 year old all day long. All day long. I was so grateful that I had stocked up on cranberries this weekend so I could get some baking in. Unfortunately, Ida left the skies pretty dark all day so my pictures are crap.
This upside down cranberry cake turned out wonderfully, even though all my cranberries ended up in the cake part instead of on top. Itâ€™s a little spicy thanks to the cinnamon and itâ€™s super moist. The cranberries, which are a little too tart for me regularly, turned out soft and juicy. Iâ€™m looking forward to a big piece for breakfast tomorrow morning!
|Cranberry Upside Down Cake||
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 sticks (14 tablespoons) butter
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 cups cranberries
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Put an 8 inch round pan on a baking sheet. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a small saucepan. Sprinkle in 6 tablespoons of the sugar and cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil. Pour this into the bottom of the pan then scatter over the nuts and top with the cranberries. If frozen berries cause the butter to congeal, don’t worry, everything will melt in the oven.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the remaining stick of butter until smooth. Add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating one minute between each. Pour in the vanilla. Add half the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear. Mix in the milk, then the rest of the dry ingredients. Spoon the batter over the cranberries, and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Carefully turn out onto a serving platter.
adapted from Baking From My Home to Yours