Happy Cinco de Mayo!
I’m usually not one for holidays themed blog posts but I’ve been looking for an excuse to make margarita cupcakes for awhile now and what better day than Cinco de Mayo?!
Before I tell you about these cupcakes, let me tell you about the vegan margarita cupcakes I made first.
They sucked. The end.
So I remade them with a recipe that included lots of butter and quite a few eggs and everything was right in the world. Seriously though, these cupcakes were perfect. The whipped egg whites are a little more work but they are so worth it in the end. You get the fluffiest cupcakes with whipped egg whites.
As far as the margarita mix… it kind of just tasted like lime juice so if you’re willing to squeeze the juice out of a bunch of limes, I’d just go that route and save a few bucks.
If you’re headed to a Cinco de Mayo party tonight these cupcakes would definitely be a crowd pleaser! You could even add some tequila to the icing for an extra kick – as long as there are no kids around!
- 2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant milk powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoon (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup margarita mix
- 5 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup margarita mix
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare 2 cupcake pans.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, instant milk, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high until light, about 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract, then margarita mix. Reduce the speed to low and beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture until just combined.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer fitted with clean, dry beaters and set on high speed, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the beaten whites into the batter just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake molds. Bake about 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add in lime juice and margarita mix; beat. Mixture will curdle, don’t worry about it. Add in powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
from Good Things Catered