Roasted Garlic and White Cheddar Pasta
Iâ€™m kind of obsessed with quick, easy pasta dishes right now. This pasta seems fancy because it has wine it in but as long as you already have some chicken cooked, youâ€™ll only need 2 pans and about 30 minutes to make it.
The pasta seems decadent but it actually has no cream in it â€“ just wine and broth. I recommend that you search out a great cheese to use. I used the Cabot stuff and wish I had used either a sharper white cheddar or a stronger kind of cheese.
To make the garlic paste, take a few bulbs of garlic (I used 3 small ones) and chop off the tops, exposing each clove. Rub some olive oil on each clove and then wrap in aluminum foil. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.Â Once they cool a little, squeeze the bulbs and the cloves will pop right out. Mash to make a paste.
|Roasted Garlic and White Cheddar Pasta||
- 1 pound ziti
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic paste
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets (about 2 cup)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 3 ounce aged reserve white cheddar grated (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 4 – 6 thin strips of parmesan cheese (optional)
- salt and ground pepper
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in large pot and cook ziti according to box directions to only al dente and set aside.
- At the same time, lightly steam broccoli florets on to of pan in steamer and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When just coming to foaming, add garlic paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add flour and whisk until beginning to turn golden. Add vermouth and cook until evaporated. Stir broth into pan and simmer sauce until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add cheddar and stir constantly while returning to a boil. Fold in ziti cook for one minute additional and remove from heat. Add broccoli and chicken and fold until sauce covers uniformly.
- Plate and top with one or two strips of parmesan (optional) and serve.
from Good Things Catered