July 24, 2010 in chicken
A few years ago I made a BBQ chicken pizza that we absolutely adored but I never got around to making it again. Probably because homemade pizza involves dough and I don’t often have time to make dough. These quesadillas are my quick solution for days when we want that BBQ chicken pizza. They use the exact ingredients I used on the pizza but these are easily customizable for different tastes.
I know you don’t typically think of cheese, especially mozzarella, with barbecue but trust me, it works. These are so good and so simple – I think I’ve had 3 of them this week!
- cooked, shredded chicken mixed with barbecue sauce (I did this but used 2 chicken breasts instead of the pork)
- red onion, sliced very thin
- shredded mozzarella
- cilantro, chopped
- extra barbecue sauce for drizzling or dunking
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, careful not to let the oil burn.
- Assemble quesadillas according to taste with chicken, onion, mozzarella, and cilantro. You can cover an entire tortilla with the toppings and then top that with another tortilla or you can only cover 1 side of the tortilla and do the fold-over method.
- Lower the heat to medium and add quesadilla, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until tortillas are golden brown and cheese has melted. Serve with extra barbecue sauce if desired.