August 12, 2010 in cupcakes
I haven’t made cupcakes in over a month. Can you believe it?!
These are my new favorite cupcakes. I love all things cookies and cream – ice cream, Hershey’s bars, everything – so of course I love these. They have a white cake base with chopped Oreo’s stirred in and they also sit on half an Oreo cookie. Cream cheese frosting and more Oreo’s for decoration make them one of the best looking cupcakes I’ve ever made.
My husband said they were like “a quadruple stuffed Oreo” because the cream cheese frosting really does taste like the Oreo cream! I cannot wait to make these again!
- 24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- tsp. salt
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⅔ cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 24 Oreo cookie halves
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the wells of two cupcake pans with 24 paper liners. Place an Oreo halve in the bottom of each liner, cream side up. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir together with a fork to blend and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the milk and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Blend in the vanilla extract. Beat in the confectioners sugar until incorporated and smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add the heavy cream to the bowl and beat on medium-low speed just until incorporated, then increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 4 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. Garnish with Oreo halves.
from Annie’s Eats