Last minute Easter breakfast idea for you!
Remember that list of Easter ideas I posted a few days back? I included two sweet rolls on that list – lemon and lime – and as I was making that list I couldn’t get orange rolls out of my head.
These rolls are so amazing. Sweet dough with cream cheese, orange marmalade, and pecans on the inside, all topped with a glaze made from freshly squeezed orange juice. Seriously though, I skipped dinner last night so I could have a second one of these. That good.
If you wanted to make this ahead of time, make the dough the night before, shape them into rolls, let them rise once, and then stick them in the fridge overnight. Pull them out about an hour before you want to bake them to take the chill off – they will have deflated overnight but should start to rise once you pull them out of the fridge. Bake them according to the recipe once they’ve risen. Easy peasy.
from Paula Deen, via Eat Cake for Dinner
- Put yeast and milk in a large mixing bowl. Let side about In a large 5 minutes, until the yeast has dissolved and is slightly foamy. Beat in sugar, melted butter, orange zest, orange juice, eggs and salt at medium-low speed with a mixer until combined. Gradually add 7 cups flour, beating until smooth. Add enough of remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 6-8 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, for 1 hour or until dough is doubled in size.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 24x12 inch rectangle. Spread orange-cream cheese filling (instructions below) evenly over dough, leaving a ½ inch border. Roll up dough, jelly-roll fashion, starting with long side. Using a serrated knife, cut dough crosswise into 1 inch slices. Place rolls, cut side down, in prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Spoon orange glaze over warm rolls.
- Use an electric mixture to combine cream cheese, orange marmalade, sugar, and pecans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth.