I think coffee cake might be one of my favorite things ever. It’s cake that you’re supposed to eat for breakfast! What’s not to love?
I have a favorite coffee cake and this one is very similar to that recipe but the sour cream gave it a slightly different taste and a fluffy texture. And the layer of cinnamon sugar running through the center? Totally did me in. I also loved how the cinnamon sugar on top got crunchy in the oven!
You better believe I’m having a piece (or two) for breakfast this morning!
adapted from Gimme Some Oven
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9—13-inch baking pan with parchment or spray with nonstick spray.
- To make the topping: stir together cinnamon, sugar, brown sugar, and pecans. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time; add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mix until almost combined. Add sour cream and mix. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the topping. Dollop the rest of the batter over top and use a rubber spatula to spread it to the sides of the pan. Sprinkle with the rest of the topping.
- Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before serving.