August 2, 2012 in breakfast
The other day I decided that I was going to cook! breakfast! everyday! in August.
I think I was feeling especially motivated because my mom cooked pancakes and waffles (one kid says he doesn’t like pancakes) on 3 different mornings while she was here. But yeah, it was one of my more brilliant ideas given the fact that my oldest starts kindergarten in less than 2 weeks and I’ve got to get all 3 kids ready and out the door in time to walk to school.
So we’ll see how long it lasts.
I made these muffins to kick off the month of no cereal and they were a huge hit! I have such a hard time finding recipes for really soft, fluffy muffins but this one is just that! My oldest even commented on how soft they were! The only problem is that the muffins are so delicious that they didn’t last nearly as long as I’d hoped! Now I’ve got to figure out something to cook this morning! Gah!
One year ago: Savannah Sheet Cake
Two years ago: Blueberry Jam Scones
For the muffins:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
4 ripe bananas
½ cup butter, softened
¾ cups brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
For the streusel:
5 tablespoons butter, melted
⅔ cup flour
⅔ cup powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip bananas for about 3 minutes, until fluffy. Scrape the bananas into a small bowl; set aside.
- In the same bowl (no need to wash) cream together the butter and brown sugar until light in color and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat just until combined. Be very careful not to overbeat!
- Spoon the batter into your prepared muffin tin, filling about ¾ of the way.
- To make the streusel, combined the melted butter, flour, powdered sugar, and cinnamon. Use your fingers to work everything together until it’s crumbly.
- Divide the streusel among the muffins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
The Airplane Restaurant (and Pikes Peak!)