Last weekend I realized what a little food blog bubble I live in. Let me explain.
We, as food bloggers, like bacon. We like adding bacon to things like cupcakes or brownies or cookies. We get excited when we’re watching Top Chef: Just Desserts and they put bacon in ice cream. It’s just how we do it.
I made these Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies last weekend to munch on during football games thinking they would be an immediate hit. I mean, dark chocolate chips and bacon? Who wouldn’t like that?! (See, food blog bubble.)
So throughout the day we had a lot of people come by to watch a game or 2 and each time, someone would say “Oooh cookies” and I’d warn them that they had bacon and then they would say, with disgust on their face, “Bacon?! In cookies?! You try them first” and they would push whoever they came with towards the cookies.
No lie. Everyone was disgusted by the idea of bacon in cookies.
But guess how many cookies I had left at the end of the day. ZERO. All 5 dozen cookies were gone.
Because bacon belongs in everything. Especially chocolate chip cookies.
adapted from Tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bacon in a single layer on a foil lined sheet.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top of bacon strips. Bake for 18-25 minutes or until crispy, making sure to turn bacon over after 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack for cooling. Once bacon has cooled chop it finely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Sift flour and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter with the white and brown sugar.
- Add vanilla, egg, and egg yolk to the bowl and beat until light and creamy.
- Add flour mixture and mix well.
- Add diced candied bacon and chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Place tablespoon sized balls of dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are brown. Remove from oven and let cookies sit on the pan for a couple of minutes before placing on a wire rack.