I promise there’s a reason this looks like the biggest hot mess of a carrot cake ever. And that reason is because it’s the world’s best carrot cake. You’ve got your typical carrot cake recipe with lots of carrots, coconut, pineapple, nuts and then when you pull it out of the oven, you drizzle a buttermilk glaze over it and it all seeps in and makes the cake extra delicious. And then after it cools you cover it in cream cheese frosting which makes it extra, extra delicious. Like I said, best carrot cake ever. So I guess it’s officially carrot cake season. Which is strange because I think of the months January – December when I think of carrot cake. But officially, carrot cake season is the couple weeks before Easter. Because, you know, Easter Bunny and all that.
I made this cake using C&H® Pourable Golden Brown Sugar and Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar in new flip-top canisters. The reclosable flip-top lid makes these sugars super convenient. The brown sugar is SO PERFECT for when you just want a shake of sugar, like on top of oatmeal! And the C&H® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar is perfect for drinks because it does dissolve really, really fast. So if you’ve got a summer of sangria or iced tea planned, you need it in your life. I used the Pourable Golden Brown Sugar in the actual carrot cake and since it measures cup for cup as regular brown sugar, there was no need for packing it into the measuring cup. And then I used the Superfine Sugar in the glaze since I needed a sugar that would dissolve fairly quickly into the buttermilk. Both worked beautifully! Look for the new flip-top canisters from C&H® Sugar, or its sister brand, Domino® Sugar, at a grocery retailer near you. For a coupon, visit chsugar.com/flip-top-sugars or for Domino® brand (available in the eastern half of the U.S), visit dominosugar.com/flip-top-sugars.
Like I mentioned, this cake is so delicious. So much going on in the carrot cake, which is exactly how I like my carrot cake, and then that buttermilk glaze just puts it over the top. And there’s never a bad time for cream cheese frosting! Everything about this cake is perfect!
- Line 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with wax paper; lightly grease and flour wax paper. Set pans aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until no lumps remain.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, C&H® Pourable Golden Brown Sugar, vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture slowly, beating at low speed until combined. Fold in grated carrot, crushed pineapple, coconut, and pecans. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While the cakes are baking, make the buttermilk glaze by bringing the C&H® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar, baking soda, buttermilk, and butter to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 4 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over cakes when they are done baking and out of the oven.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, beat all ingredients until no lumps remain.
- To frost the cake, gently remove layers from pans one at a time and place on your serving plate. Spread a generous amount of frosting on top of each layer. Repeat with remaining cake layers and frosting.
What’s your favorite way to use brown sugar? Leave a comment with your answer below to enter for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including a disclosure that your Tweet is a sweepstakes entry and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the [email protected] email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.