Your dog deserves a treat! These homemade Carrot, Peanut Butter, and Oats Dog Treats are packed with all of your pup’s favorites!
Hi guys, happy almost weekend!
We’re making dog treats today!
It has been rainy and gross and the only time I’ve left the house all week was to sit at the coffee shop for a few hours to bang out some posts for Food Fanatic and clear out my inbox.
And there may have been a wine run after a very long Monday with the boys home allllll day. Whatever. That hardly counts.
And since I’ve been home, I’m finally really breaking in the new kitchen. I think I’ve baked 10 things this week and y’all know I’d all but given up on baking the last few months.
One of the things I baked this week was these Carrot, Peanut Butter, and Oats Dog Treats.
I’m a big fan of taking whatever fruit or veggie is hanging around the house a little too long and turning it into dog treats which is how these came about. I bought matchstick carrots for who knows what reason because they’re just too thick for salads and and I was so tired of seeing them every time I opened the fridge.
I pureed them for this recipe because I already have a shredded carrot dog treat recipe and for that I just threw the carrots in a pot of water until they were soft and then blended them until smooth. You can totally use a jar of carrot baby food if you don’t want to go through all that but you may need to adjust the flour because I think baby food will be a little thinner than the homemade puree.
Other than the carrots, it’s all stuff you already have in your pantry. Peanut butter, coconut oil (sub olive oil if you want), honey, oats, and whole wheat flour.
They’re really basic and really quick to whip up. I used my bone cookie cutter just to make them extra cute but if you don’t have cookie cutters, just use the rim of a glass or something similar.
My dogs love them. My 6 year old wasn’t around to give his opinion this time but I’m almost positive he’d love them, too.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt together peanut butter, honey and coconut oil, stirring until combined. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add pureed carrots, oats, and flour. Stir until just combined.
- Turn out onto a well floured surface and roll out with a flour dusted rolling pin until about 1/4" thick. Cut out with cookie cutters and transfer to prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 17 - 20 minutes or until firm. If you want them crispy, bake for another 5 minutes or so.
- Let cool completely before serving to your pup.
Want more homemade dog treat recipes?