My husband has been talking about lettuce wraps lately (and wanted one so badly that he made a bologna wrap one day. Yeah…) so when I stumbled across her recipe for Chicken & Red Pepper Lettuce Wraps, I was pretty excited. It’s very different from our usual wraps but I knew it would be a winner. Put bell peppers in anything and my husband would eat it.
We really did love this one. The orange zest gave it an unexpected brightness that went amazingly well with the heaviness of the hoisin sauce. And it’s just so fun to wrap stuff in lettuce wraps!
adapted from Cooking with Chopin, Living with Elmo
- Cut base off of lettuce heads. Gently peel off leaves, wash, and pat dry with paper towels. Refrigerate until ready to serve the dish.
- Season chicken well with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Add the chicken; cook, stirring constantly, until opaque throughout, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoons of oil to pan, along with the onion and bell pepper. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, until onion is tender and golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, orange peel, and red-pepper flakes and water chestnuts; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds.
- While garlic/ginger mixture is cooking, whisk the cornstarch and water together in a bowl. Add in the soy sauce, vinegar, and hoisin sauce; whisk.
- Pour cornstarch mixture over garlic/ginger mixture. Reduce heat to low. Add chicken to pan and toss to coat.
- Serve the chicken mixture wrapped in the lettuce leaves.