I made a beef and barley soup last winter and we really enjoyed it but then for some reason I never thought about it again. I stumbled upon a recipe recently and decided I would make another one as soon as it got cold. This time I filled it with veggies and it was absolutely delicious. It’s not often that I look forward to leftovers but I had this stew for lunch for 3 days!
I served it with the honey yeast rolls and they were perfect together. My husband opened up the rolls and put a little stew in the middle.. said it was amazing!
- 1-1/2 pounds chuck steak cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups broth chicken, beef, or veggie. whatever you have.
- 1 can 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen green beans thawed
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
Place chuck steak, onion, carrots, and potatoes in 5 quart slow cooker. Add water, broth, tomato sauce, and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
Add beans, corn, and barley. Cover and cook on low for 2 more hours or until barely and veggies are tender.