After years of hearing me talk about my weekly Chinese order, I have bad news for you.
I’m over Chinese.
It’s a sad moment because I have been obsessed with our local place’s cashew chicken since my husband’s last deployment.
I keep trying to talk myself back into loving it and actually went to my other Chinese food love, Panda Express (and took a work call while in the drive-thru because I keep things classy) the other day and it was just so blah.
And now I’ve convinced myself that if I just go to PF Changs, I’ll be back in love with Chinese food and my life will return to normal.
(Normal = being able to acquire bad-for-you food without leaving your house)
I don’t know what’s wrong with me.
This Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken is less like the veggie-filled cashew chicken I love and more like the sweet and sour chicken that my kids love. All three of my boys loved it and argued over leftovers the next day.
It’s a really simple recipe and odds are, you have most of the ingredients on hand. If you are a sweet and sour person when it comes to Chinese food, you’ll probably dig it!
from Six Sisters' Stuff
- Combine flour and pepper in large Ziploc bag. Add chicken. Shake to coat with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken about 2 minutes on each side.
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in small bowl; pour over chicken.
- Cook on low 4 - 5 hours. Add cashews and stir. Serve over rice.