I have been trying to come up with new ideas for each weekend’s football snack, something I can make in the morning but stays yummy throughout the day. I found a real winner with this one!
This mix, with it’s uber-classy name, is sweet, salty, and spicy all in one! It’s loaded with some of my favorites – Chex, Cheerios, tortilla chips, mixed nuts – and the coated with a syrup made with brown sugar, chili powder, and cayenne. It’s as good as it sounds! Maybe better!
I think this can handle much more cayenne than the recipe calls for but to be on the safe side, I’m leaving it as is. Taste it before you mix everything up and adjust the spice as needed. Also, someone needs to try it with chipotle powder and let me know how it is because omggg, that sounds like heaven to me! Other ideas for mix-ins: popcorn, M&Ms (but add after baking and cooling slightly), or your favorite cereal.
- Preheat oven to 250F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil. Combine tortilla chips, cereal, and nuts on the baking sheet.
- Combine corn syrup, butter, brown sugar, chili powder, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in a small saucepan and heat to boiling.
- Pour over the mixture in the pan; stir to coat thoroughly.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn onto a sheet of waxed paper to cool.