Guess what ya’ll! It was my turn to choose the Tuesdays with Dorie recipe! I had a lot of trouble deciding on one and finally settled on Dorie’s Cherry Rhubarb Cobbler since I’ve recently become obsessed with rhubarb.
I had these great fantasies of having a gorgeous picture of this cobbler and making everything perfect since it was my week and all. Yeah, didn’t quite work out for me. The cobbler was delicious (even the rhubarb hater that I call husband liked it) but it just didn’t turn out pretty for me.
I adored the topping of this one. The whole wheat flour gave it a totally different texture from the usual cobbler toppings and really enhanced the whole thing. The rhubarb was amazing. The cherries were fabulous. I’m not a fruit person but I loved this cobbler. I even made some rhubarb ice cream to go along with it. (It melted very quickly…)
from Baking: From My Home to Yours
- In a small bowl stir together the sugar, cornflour and ginger until well mixed.
- Place the cherries and rhubarb into a large bowl, sprinkle over with the mixed dry ingredients and stir well. While making the topping, stir from time to time.
- Make the topping:
- Put the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and ginger into a food processor. Pulse to blend. Sprinkle the butter pieces over the top, then continue to pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Drizzle in the milk and continue to pulse until it forms moist clumps.
- Turn out onto a very lightly floured board.
- Cut into 20 pieces and shape each into a ball.
- Place the fruit and any juices that have been released into the baking dish. Spread it out evenly. Top with the prepared dough balls.
- Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes or until the topping is golden and fruit bubbling.
- Cool the cobbler for at least 20 minutes.