For this month’s Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned Heavenly Treats and Treasures which is a super cute blog with tons of delicious looking recipes. I spent forever going through her archives before I decided on these cookies. And the main reason I chose them is because any kind of cookies with sprinkles on top reminds me of Real Housewives of New Jersey.
I know. Sad life.
Anyway, these cookies are delicious as all sugar cookies are but these are special since they have cream cheese in them. I think it keeps them a little softer than regular sugar cookies so even after a few days, these were just as soft as they were on day 1.
adapted from Heavenly Treats and Treasures
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together 1 1/2 cups sugar, cream cheese, and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in canola oil, vanilla, and lemon zest until combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, beating only until it is just combined.
- Put the remaining 1/3 cup sugar on a plate or pie pan.
- Take about a tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball. Roll in the sugar and place on prepared pan. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Using bottom of a drinking glass or a measuring cup, flatten each cookie and top with sprinkles.
- Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through, about 12 minutes or just until golden around the edges.
- Allow to cool on sheet for about 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.