Y’all know those little single serve baking mixes? That you stir some water into and then pop in the microwave and then a minute later out pops a legit brownie or cake? I am obsessed with those. I would have them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if they weren’t so darn expensive. Seriously though, is there anything better than a fresh, hot brownie that you can make in a minute and a half?
I’d never tried my hand at a homemade microwave cake until this week when I made these cute little apple mug cakes. I was inspired by a package I got from Wacky Apple which is a local Colorado company and they make products that contain no added sugar, no added water, no artificial colors, and absolutely zero preservatives. They are also vegan, gluten free, and contain no GMOs. Their products include applesauce in fun flavors, fruit juices, and flat fruit.
So I made this cake with some of the applesauce they sent.and it turned out fantastic! Their original recipe calls for their cinnamon applesauce but that kind seemed to disappear pretty quickly from my pantry so I substituted the apricot applesauce and it was delicious so use whatever kind of applesauce you want but don’t skip the pumpkin pie spice! If you wanted to make a healthy, breakfast-type cake you could always leave out the sugar (because the applesauce is plenty sweet) and add things like nuts, flaxseeds, dried fruit, whatever you like.
If you are local, you can find Wacky Apple products at all Rocky Mountain Whole Foods, Sprouts, and all King Soopers and City Markets across Colorado.
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons Wacky Apple Applesauce
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 drops pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup flour
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh chopped apple
- In the cup you will be using, soften butter in microwave for about 10 seconds until soft, but not melted. Stir in sugar and mix well. Stir in Applesauce, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract until incorporated. Mix in the flour, baking powder, salt and apples until just combined. Smooth out the top of the cake with the back of a spoon.
- Pop it in the microwave for 50 seconds. If it is not cooked all the way through, cook in 10 second intervals until done. Careful not to microwave too long, they can get rubbery. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 388Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 286mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 3gSugar: 35gProtein: 4g