I hope you had a fabulous weekend. Mine went by waaaaaay too fast but I’m lucky that we don’t have preschool today which means that technically I can stay in sweats all day and skip makeup. So yay!
I feel like I did nothing all weekend. Like, I even skipped yesterday’s post because I was feeling so lazy. Plus we were about halfway through the zoo on Saturday before I realized I didn’t have anything made and photographed and at that point, it was a lost cause.
Yesterday I bribed my children with gumballs to get them to go thrifting with me. We found one beautimous green Pyrex but here’s the problem. Now, I need the lid that came with it. Which is going to cost me at least $16 on Ebay after shipping. So, a $4 dish with a $16 lid. Makes perfect sense.
Then I watched all 7 episodes of Graceland on my DVR. It’s one of those shows that I literally say “Ugggghhhh” when I realize it’s the only thing I have left but after about 20 minutes of the first episode, I am INTO IT and can’t walk away until I watch every episode.
During my Agent Briggs (let’s be real, he’s the only reason most of us are watching Graceland) marathon yesterday, I had a crazy craving for cornbread. I’m telling you, the carb craving is real lately.
So I made this awesome Bacon and Pepper Jack Cornbread. Typically I go for a sweet cornbread with nothing added in but this one was exactly what I was craving. It’s spicy from the pepper jack and just a little sweet from the honey. And bacon makes everything better!
Of course, you have to smear it with butter and put more honey on top! That’s the only way to eat cornbread.
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 6 strips bacon, diced
- ¼ onion, finely minced
- 1 ¼ cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 7 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray an 8x8-inch baking pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the diced bacon over medium-high heat until almost crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off all but 1 teaspoon of the bacon grease. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, stirring frequently.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper until no clumps remain. Add in buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, and honey and whisk just until everything is moistened. Stir in ½ cup of the pepper jack cheese.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the rest of the pepper jack.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 795mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 12g