I didn’t want to post this recipe. I am almost embarrassed but holy cow, its delicious!
If you’ve never had a pierogi (I hadn’t before this dish), it’s basically mashed potatoes inside pasta (and you can find them in the frozen section of any grocery store). With this dish, you take those pierogies and top them with a cream cheese sauce and cheddar cheese. You bake until bubbly and then sprinkle crispy bacon, fresh tomato, and green onions on top. It’s like cheese fries that require a fork!
My kids gobbled this one up so I felt I owed it to you guys to post it. The best part is that it took almost no time to prepare!
Bacon Pierogi Bake
- 1 16-ounce package frozen potato and onion pierogies (such as Mrs. Tâ€™s)
- cooking spray
- 2 center-cut bacon slices
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup thinly diagonally sliced green onions
- ¼ cup chopped seeded plum tomato
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Arrange the pierogies in an 11 x 7-inch glass baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cook bacon in a saucepan over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan. Set aside and crumble once cooled.
- Pour out all but about ½ teaspoon of bacon drippings. Add garlic to pan, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add ⅓ cup cream cheese to pan, and cook for 1 minute or until cream cheese begins to melt, stirring frequently. Gradually add chicken broth to pan, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly over pierogies. Top evenly with ½ cup cheddar cheese. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until bubbly and thoroughly heated. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with bacon, green onions, tomato, and pepper.