Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta – easy baked pasta with chicken, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan. My kids love this!
I had the most disappointing Pinterest fail this week.
It was a breadstick recipe to go with this pasta and I swear, it was one of the first things I ever pinned. So for years, whenever I’ve gone digging through my Pinterest bread board for inspiration, I saw those breadsticks and thought “THOSE LOOK SO GOOD! But they aren’t right for this week.”
So when I finally decided that it was time for those breadsticks, I was more than a little excited about them.
And they were awful.
Years! Years of looking at these stupid breadsticks and then they just fail me like that.
So send me twisty, Parmesan-y breadstick recipes. Please. I need some really awesome breadsticks in my life.
How To Make Chicken Parmesan Baked Pasta
- Chop fresh tomatoes
- Cook oil, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt until fragrant
- Add tomatoes, water, chicken broth, and pasta
- Bring to a simmer and cook until pasta is tender
- Stir in 3/4 of the Parmesan cheese and chicken
- Sprinkle mozzarella and remaining Parmesan on top
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly
- Garnish with fresh basil
Can You Freeze It?
Yes! You can freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months. I would defrost in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat in the oven. The baking time will probably increase since it will be cold and/or bits may still be frozen.
Can You Make It Ahead?
Yes! If you want to do the bulk of the work the night before, stop right before baking and let it cool to room temperature. Put it in the fridge overnight (I like using this dutch oven because I can just put the top on and pop the whole thing in the fridge – then it goes straight to the oven the next day) and then you can pop it in the oven after work the next day.
The bake time will probably be longer since everything will be cold – probably around 20 minutes bake time.
More Chicken Pasta Recipes
- Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- One Pot Cheesy Barbecue Chicken Pasta
- Spicy Bacon Ranch Pasta
- One Pot Lemon Chicken with Orzo
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces pasta
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Add the tomatoes to the bowl of your food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped, about 10 pulses.
- Set an oven-safe 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt and cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, the water, 1 cup of the chicken broth, and the pasta to the pan, stirring to combine. Bring the mixture to a vigorous simmer, then cover the pan and continue simmering (you may need to reduce the heat slightly) until the pasta is tender, about 16-18 minutes. Stir the pasta frequently as it cooks.
- Once tender, remove the cover and stir in 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the pepper, and the chicken. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if necessary. If the mixture seems dry, mix in as much of the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken broth as needed to loosen it up. Sprinkle the top evenly with the mozzarella cheese and the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and bubbles around the edges. Garnish with the basil before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 571mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 37g