Lately I’ve really been digging meals that use shortcuts. Like, cream of something soups. I don’t think I made a meal this week that didn’t include one!
This recipe is a great one that takes a shortcut by using Rice-A-Roni which I’m not sure I’ve ever tried before I made this but I am hooked. I’ve told you guys how horrible I am at making rice (especially since we moved here!) but the rice turned out perfect for me and it already had all the seasoning in the box! So yeah, I can’t believe I’ve been making mushy, tasteless rice for so long!
The rest of the dish is homemade so you don’t have to feel guilty about using the boxed stuff. It’s got chicken and mushrooms and it’s all covered with muenster cheese. Anything with muenster automatically becomes a favorite for me.
My kids usually whine and pick out any mushrooms but there were no complaints and no mushrooms let on their plates after this one!
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 packages Rice-a-Roni Wild Rice Mix, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup Muenster cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and mushrooms have softened.
- Sprinkle on the flour and stir to coat.
- Pour in the stock and half-and-half cream, and bring just to a simmer, whisking frequently. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, whisking often, then add the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir int he chicken and parsley.
- Lightly spray a 2-quart casserole dish with oil. Spread the cooked wild rice in the bottom of the casserole. Spoon in the chicken mixture, then sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and bubbling. Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 711mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g