I’m pretty excited because I have a giveaway today! I’ve been trying to give away a cookbook every month – like, you know, a cookbook that came out that month. It was going to be my thing this year. But then the book I bought for March was kind of a dud. I still haven’t made anything from it.
And then I ordered the Whole 30 cookbook for April and just got distracted with the move and then being so sick. That one’s awesome though. Highly recommend it for anyone looking to eat healthier.
Now I’m back on track and I have a really great book this month!
It’s Pure Pork Awesomeness by Kevin Gillespie and it really is all pork and all awesomeness.
I pre-ordered this one months ago because I loooove Kevin Gillespie. He’s probably my favorite Top Chef contestant of all time – mostly because everything he does involves pork!
There are so many delicious looking recipes in this book. I made Tacos al Pastor for Taco Tuesday last week and they were so delicious. My kids don’t like tacos (clearly there was a mix up in the hospital – 3 times) but they wolfed those down.
And then last night I made these Cuban Sandwiches. I’ve never actually had a Cuban Sandwich but between his cilantro mayo and the slow-cooked pork, I was sold.
These were probably the best sandwiches I’ve ever had. Ever. In my entire life.
I already mentioned the mayo and the pork – there’s also two kinds of cheese, pickles, ham, and rich, delicious bread.
I’m pretty sad that we have no leftovers.
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the Slow-Cooked Pork Barbacoa:
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 pound bone-in pork shoulder
- 1 onion, quartered
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 dried bay leaves
For the Cuban Sandwich:
- 1 ¼ cups mayo
- juice of 1 large orange
- juice of 1 lime
- 5 gloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup cilantro
- 4 Cuban-style sandwich loaves, or 1 loaf brioche or challah, cut into slices
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 cup grated Gouda cheese
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 4 ounces thick-sliced deli ham
- dill pickle slices, preferably flat, thinly sliced
To make the Slow-Cooked Pork Barbacoa:
- Heat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, chili powder, cinnamon, and cloves. Pat the pork dry and generously season all over with the salt mixture. Cut a large piece (about 24 inches) of heavy-duty foil and place in a roasting pan. Add the roast, onion, garlic, and bay leaves and wrap everything up tightly in the foil. Roast for 3 ½ hours.
- Remove from over and let rest, wrapped in foil, for 30 minutes. Discard the onion, garlic, and bay leaves before shredding the meat.
To make the Cuban Sandwiches:
- In a blender, combine the mayo, ½ cup orange juice, 1 tablespoon lime juice, garlic, cumin, and salt and blend until smooth. Add the cilantro and blend until smooth and creamy.
- The order of assembly is important here! Spread the bottom slice of bread with mustard and sprinkle with the Gouda. Build the rest of the sandwich on the top slice of bread, starting with the Gruyere, following by a slice of ham and the Barbacoa. Place a liberal layer of pickles over the pork, and top that with a full-on slathering of the cilantro mayo. Flip the bottom up onto the top and press down firmly to compact.
- Cook the sandwich grilled cheese-style on low heat until the bread is browned and the cheese is melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3562Total Fat: 253gSaturated Fat: 89gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 145gCholesterol: 896mgSodium: 7716mgCarbohydrates: 106gFiber: 8gSugar: 30gProtein: 207g
Both copies of the book were purchased by me. Some links are affiliate links.