I made this cake for the first time over a year ago. I remember that my husband was out in the field for a month and that my kids and I ate it for dinner one night. It was gone so quickly that I didn’t have a chance to take photos!
So when bittersweet chocolate came up as this week’s Thursday theme I immediately thought of this cake. I’ve kind of been looking for an excuse to make it again so even though it technically doesn’t have bittersweet chocolate in it, I had to go for it. It is exactly as the name implies: a no-fuss chocolate cake that you can throw together in just over an hour. It has no frosting but a dusting of powdered sugar or some whipped cream both make perfect toppings.
Next time you’re craving something chocolatey but don’t have the energy for something fancy, make this. Just trust me. And to go with that you should make Nicole’s Italian Hot Chocolate with Orange Scented Whipped Cream because what goes better with chocolate than more chocolate?
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- ½ cup 1 stick or 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Butter and lightly flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugars and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat well, then the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt together right into your wet ingredients. Stir together with a spoon until well-blended but do not overmix. Scrape down the batter in the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack for about 10 to 15 minutes, at which point you can cool it the rest of the way out of the pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 147mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 4g