Are you a sweet or savory breakfast person?
I’m definitely savory. I mean, I love pancakes and cinnamon rolls as much as the next person but I’d rather have those at 3 pm. Not first thing in the morning.
For breakfast, I am all about the eggs, the turkey sausage, the cheesy grits!
And this Loaded Grits Casserole has all of that and more!
So the casserole has the breakfast sausage. quick cooking grits, green chiles, sharp cheddar, and then you go nuts with toppings. Avocado, green onions, tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, more cheese! Pile it all on top!
More Breakfast Recipes
- Amish Breakfast Casserole
- Honey Ham Biscuits
- Baked French Toast with Pralines
- Bacon and Butternut Squash Breakfast Tacos
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound Jennie-O Lean Mild Turkey Breakfast Sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick cooking grits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- avocado, tomatoes, green onions, pickled jalapenos, extra cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with oil.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Jennie-O Turkey Breakfast Sausage and cook, breaking apart, until almost no pink remains. Add diced onion and continue cooking until sausage is cooked through and onions and soft. Drain if necessary.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Stir in grits and salt. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- To the grits, add green chiles, 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, butter, and sausage mixture; stir until cheese is melted. Quickly whisk in eggs.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and use a rubber spatula to even it out. (At this point, you can refrigerate over night if you want.)
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake for about 60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the middle is set.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 172mgSodium: 786mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 19g