I meant to have an apple pie for you today. Alas, it did not work out as planned. It was one of those with a crumb topping but it had SO MUCH butter in it that it all kind of melted and got gross looking AND created quite a mess in the oven. Then I read the reviews afterward and, of course, they all warned to cut down on butter in the topping.
I have cornbread for you instead.
It’s the good, sweet kind so don’t be too upset with me.
I was feeling extra lazy the day I made this and kicked myself for not having a box of my favorite Jiffy mix but I threw this together in less than 5 minutes. I don’t think I’ve ever met a cornbread that I didn’t enjoy but this one was pretty awesome.
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- ¾ cup 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for the pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- Heat oven to 425F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the milk, eggs, ½ cup of the maple syrup, and ½ cup of the butter; whisk together the wet ingredients, then incorporate the dry ingredients until just combined (do not overmix).
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the remaining ¼ cup of butter and ¼ cup of maple syrup. After removing the corn bread from oven, brush with the butter mixture. Cool completely in the pan, then cut into pieces.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 347mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 4g