So I mentioned we were moving and then disappeared for a month. Totally not my intention but if there’s one thing I’ve learned with the Army, it’s to never expect anything to happen when they say it will happen. Anyway, we’re finally settled, finally have internet set up, and finally replaced the laptop cord that a certain rodent made a midnight snack.
We moved from a very hot, wet area on the Gulf of Mexico to the dry, it’s-101-degrees-outside-but-feels-like-80 Colorado. Seriously, we’ve been here a month and I’ve yet to break a sweat. It’s the weirdest thing ever. However, the sun is ridiculous. It’s, like, right there. You walk outside for 5 minutes and your skin smells like you just spent 20 minutes in a tanning bed. You pretty much have to wake up with a bottle of water in your hand and then fall asleep with one in your hand or else you’re dehydrated beyond belief. I’m hoping it’s just something we have to adjust to but in an effort to hydrate in more exciting ways, I made this fruit salad.
It turned out fantastic and everyone in my house loved it! I think next time I make it, Iâ€™ll throw in some banana slices, shredded coconut, and maybe some mandarin oranges. It was delicious as is but if you can get away with more fruit, why not!
Pina Colada Fruit Salad
- 1 ½ cups grapes (red, green, or a mix)
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1 ½ cups fresh strawberries (sliced)
- 1 can (8 ounces pineapple chunks, drained)
- 1 can (10 ounces frozen non-alcoholic pina colada mix, thawed)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup pineapple-orange-banana juice (Dole makes one.)
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- In a serving bowl, combine all of the fruit. In a small bowl, whisk the pina colada mix, sugar, juice and extract until sugar is dissolved. Pour over fruit; toss to coat. Chill until serving.