This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Tyson Foods, Inc. All ideas, recipes, & opinions are entirely my own.
Are you in full-on fall mode yet?
Last week my mom and I were exchanging emails about all the fall candles we bought and I realized that I’ve officially moved onto fall.
Yep, burning “Sweater Weather” in every room of my house.
No shame. And I’ve had my windows open for weeks.
It’s 97 degrees in central Texas and I’m sweating buckets. But I don’t care. It’s fall in my head.
I’ve also moved onto fall foods. I bought so much squash last weekend. Literally every acorn squash my store had.
Every single one.
I’m all in on fall, guys.
Other than squash, I’m also craving all the fall-ish comfort foods that I grew up on. And being that I’m from south Alabama, red beans and rice was a staple in the dinner rotation during fall and winter.
I picked up some Hillshire Farm® smoked sausage at Walmart recently. This is a year round staple for me but I seem to buy it more in the summer when I’m not into cooking. One of our favorite things to do in the summer is slice the Hillshire Farm smoked sausage up and just toss it on the grill. With some barbecue sauce, it’s the perfect easy dinner.
It is also perfect in dishes like this Red Beans and Rice recipe. It’s flavorful and delicious and has the authentic smoked flavor that I want in a dish like this. Plus, Hillshire Farm smoked sausage is family owned, generation to generation and you can trust them to have only premium, high quality products.
This is the easiest, simplest meal but it’s a fun way to shake up the dinner routine. You just put it all in a pot and let it cook until the beans are tender. Serve it over rice with some cornbread on the side and you’ve got the ultimate comfort meal.
My kids love this one and I have those kids that says, “Ewww, I don’t like beans!” any other time I try to feed them beans. So trust me, this one is a good one.
Looking for more ways to use Hillshire Farms smoked sausage? Visit their website for more recipes and ideas!
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 16-ounce package dried red kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound Hillshire Farm smoked sausage
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 32-ounce containers low-sodium chicken broth
- cooked white rice, for serving
- green onions, for serving
- Place beans in a large heavy pot. Add water to a couple inches above the beans and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute; cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 1 hour. Drain and set beans aside.
- In the same hot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is browned on all sides. Add in celery, onion, and green bell pepper and cook until softened. Add garlic, bay leaves, cajun seasoning, salt, thyme, and black pepper and cook, stirring, for just a minute. Add in chicken broth and beans.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 2 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 1658mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 20g