This shop has been compensated by #CollectiveBias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
If you follow me anywhere in the social media world, you know that I’m currently obsessed with all things spicy. I got this epic pizza on my birthday – it had bacon, ham, bbq sauce, pineapple, and loads and loads of jalapeños. Since then, I’ve been all about the jalapeños, the habanero sauce, the chile pepper chocolate bars – if it’s spicy, I want it.
Po’Boys were in my top 5 list of things to do on our roadtrip back to Alabama but it was such a rushed trip and on the way home, stopping with all 3 kids by myself just seemed like too much work. So I never got one and I’ve been really craving a big shrimp po’boy ever since.
My fave place back home puts a sliced sandwich roll in the bottom of one of those styrofoam takeout containers and then fills the rest with fried shrimp or oysters. Like, you have 2 meals before you ever find the bread. My husband used to joke that he could buy me one Po’Boy on Friday night and he wouldn’t have to feed me again until Monday. So good, so ginormous, so Gulf Coast.
I used that as my inspiration for these guys but I wanted to add a spicy slaw to it, too. I’m telling you, I can’t get enough spice!
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the slaw:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon El Yucateco Red Habanero Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups packaged cole slaw mix
For the shrimp:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon El Yucateco Red Habanero Sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 - 3 tablespoons coconut oil, or other cooking oil
- large sandwich rolls
- tomato slices
- El Yucateco Red Habanero Sauce
For the slaw:
- Whisk together mayo, grated onion, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, horseradish, El Yucateco Red Habanero Sauce, lemon zest, and garlic; whisk until smooth. Add cole slaw mix and toss with a rubber spatula until the cole slaw mix is completely coated. Cover and chill for at least an hour before serving.
For the shrimp:
- Whisk together cornstarch, salt, El Yucateco Red Habanero Sauce, and egg. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, combine cornmeal and panko bread crumbs in a large zip top bag. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the shrimp from the marinade to the bread crumb bag. Toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook about 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Once cooked, remove shrimp to a paper towel-lined plate to cool. Repeat with remaining oil and shrimp.
- Slice each sandwich roll in half and put about 1/2 cup of the slaw on the bottom bun. Top with tomato slices and shrimp. Sprinkle with El Yucateco Red Habanero Sauce before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 815Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 307mgSodium: 2450mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 7gSugar: 23gProtein: 34g