After years of hearing me talk about my weekly Chinese order, I have bad news for you.
I’m over Chinese.
It’s a sad moment because I have been obsessed with our local place’s cashew chicken since my husband’s last deployment.
I keep trying to talk myself back into loving it and actually went to my other Chinese food love, Panda Express (and took a work call while in the drive-thru because I keep things classy) the other day and it was just so blah.
And now I’ve convinced myself that if I just go to PF Changs, I’ll be back in love with Chinese food and my life will return to normal.
(Normal = being able to acquire bad-for-you food without leaving your house)
I don’t know what’s wrong with me.
This Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken is less like the veggie-filled cashew chicken I love and more like the sweet and sour chicken that my kids love. All three of my boys loved it and argued over leftovers the next day.
It’s a really simple recipe and odds are, you have most of the ingredients on hand. If you are a sweet and sour person when it comes to Chinese food, you’ll probably dig it!
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup cashews
- Combine flour and pepper in large Ziploc bag. Add chicken. Shake to coat with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken about 2 minutes on each side.
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in small bowl; pour over chicken.
- Cook on low 4 - 5 hours. Add cashews and stir. Serve over rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 2092mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 42g