I have such a love/hate relationship with my slow cooker. I don’t think I’ve used it since my annual Crockpot Candy at Christmas but all of the sudden, I want to use it every day! This is a weird slow cooker recipe because it’s not designed to cook all day long so it wouldn’t be good to do on a work day but if you’re cooking for a crowd and need to free up space on the stove? This is perfect!
On the mac & cheese spectrum, this lands on the waaaaay custard-y side of things which is exactly how I love it! My kids and I had it for lunch 3 days in a row and probably could have continued the pattern with no complaints. That good.
I used a package of shredded Italian cheeses but if you prefer cheddar, I think it would work wonderfully too.
Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- ¼ cup ½ stick unsalted butter, melted, cooled to room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups 12 oz shredded Italian cheese
- ½ pound elbow macaroni or mini penne tubes (par cooked and drained (cook about half the time the box instructs you))
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- toasted bread crumbs + Italian seasoning for topping (optional)
- Spray the inside of your slow-cooker with cooking spray or grease it with olive oil. Combine milk, evaporated milk, eggs, butter, and salt in slow cooker and whisk until until smooth
- Add the shredded cheese and macaroni, sprinkle with black pepper. Stir gently with a spatula to coat evenly. Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, reduce the temperature to LOW and cook for 2 to 2 ½ hours, until custard is set in the center and the pasta is tender. The macaroni and cheese may sit in the cooker on the KEEP WARM setting for 30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs and Italian seasoning if desired.