Smoky Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes – smoky and spicy sloppy joes topped with fritos and pickled jalapenos! Easy 30 minute meal the whole family will love!
In the months prior to my husband’s deployment last year, we were obsessed with Fritos.
So obsessed that when we got our first major snowstorm since moving to Colorado, my husband was so desperate for some that he braved the roads.
And then came back home approximately 30 seconds later after doing a 360 trying to get out of the driveway.
Smoky Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes!
We have defeated our Fritos addiction for the most part but the moment I saw these sloppy joes with Fritos on top, I knew I had to make them.
Sloppy joes aren’t really something I love but seriously, Fritos! They turned out better than I anticipated – super flavorful, just the right amount of smokiness, and the Fritos add the perfect crunch to the sandwich. There were zero complaints about this one!
These are perfect for a weeknight meal because they really took no time to cook up. And I bet most of the ingredients are things you already have on hand! Just make them.
And when your husband looks at you like you’re an idiot when you tell him he can’t eat the Fritos because they’re for sloppy joes, just tell him to shut up.
More Easy Weeknight Dinners
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (seeds and ribs removed for less heat)
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Frankâ€™s Red Hot
- 4 burger buns, toasted
- Pickled jalapenos, for topping
- Fritos, for topping
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet or dutch oven.. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Pour off all but about 2 teaspoons of bacon grease. In the same skillet cook the ground beef until no pink remains. Drain if necessary. Stir in the onion, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bacon, beef broth, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, cider vinegar and hot sauce. Bring to a bubble and cook until you reach your desired thickness, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve the meat mixture on top of toasted buns topped with pickled jalapenos and Fritos.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 407Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 891mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 28g