Sesame Chicken – your favorite Chinese takeout at home! Chicken in a sweet honey sesame sauce. Quick, easy, and uses simple ingredients!
Sesame chicken is and will always be my favorite Chinese takeout dish. You don’t ever have to ask me what I want when we’re ordering takeout. Just assume it’s sesame chicken.
But obviously deep fried takeout chicken isn’t the best option all the time. I’ve made this recipe so many times when the sesame chicken craving hits. The chicken is just pan fried instead of battered and deep fried so you’re saving a ton of calories. And the sauce is just as delicious as any takeout!
I also have a Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe that we love just as much as takeout sweet and sour chicken!
How To Make Sesame Chicken
This is a really easy recipe with simple ingredients so it’s perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- Cook cubed chicken in olive oil until fully cooked through
- While chicken is cooking, whisk together honey, soy sauce, water, cornstarch, ginger, and red pepper flakes
- Add sauce to chicken and cook until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving
How Long Is Sesame Chicken Good For?
Sesame chicken will stay good in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days. Make sure it’s covered tightly.
Reheat it in the microwave or stovetop and if the sauce seems too thick, a splash of water or chicken broth will help to get it back to it’s originally consistency.
Can You Freeze Sesame Chicken?
Yes, if you have extra that you won’t eat before it goes bad or just want to prep some meals in advance, you can definitely freeze Sesame Chicken!
I like to freeze it in a ziploc freezer bag (squeeze out as much air as possible) but any airtight container works. It will stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating and serving.
More Chicken Recipes
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
- One Pot Lemon Chicken with Orzo
- Chicken Thighs with Creamy Rosemary Mushrooms
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, plus more for serving
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook chicken until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, whisk together honey, soy sauce, water, corn starch, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Pour over the chicken and sprinkle in 1 tablespoon sesame seeds. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens and coats the chicken. Sprinkle with more sesame seeds before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 1226mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 23gProtein: 26g