How obvious is it that I’m not feeling the sweet stuff lately? I haven’t been in the mood to bake or taste sweets which is why you guys have been seeing lots of :real” food. Boo! Today I’m making a bunch of cupcakes so I promise we’ll get back to our regular scheduled programming very soon. PLUS I’ve got something really fun coming up next week. Trust me, you’ll want to be here for that.
I’ve been trying to make more salads lately which is hard because my 3 year old won’t eat them. In an effort to make them more fun for him, I made this guy which has tofu, black beans, tortilla chips, and cheese – all things he loves. Did he eat it? Nope. The rest of us loved it though!
My word of advice? Don’t try the vinaigrette before you dress the salad. It’s way too spicy on it’s own but it’s so delicious once you actually toss it in the salad. Also, add avocado. I forgot to buy one but it would be so perfect in this!
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound tofu pressed and cubed
- 8 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- tortilla chips for serving
To make vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat; add tofu and stir-fry until brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and allow to cool.
Once tofu is cool, combine all salad ingredients except the tortilla chips. Right before serving, toss in vinaigrette. Serve with tortilla chips (they were great crumbled over the top like croutons!).