Confession: I’m an obsessive weather checker.
It’s extra ridiculous right now since we have snow in the forecast and if I stop obsessively checking it, the snow may disappear completely. That’s how my brain works. And how Colorado weather works.
But I can feel the snow in the air and it gave me a serious soup craving.
I wouldn’t normally make a vegetarian soup with my husband home but he’s still happily gnawing on turkey so I figured I’d be safe. I had no idea that he would actually eat half the pot without even realizing it’s meatless!
It’s really delicious and the big tortellini made it super kid friendly.
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 5 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 ½ cups V8 vegetable juice
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 9-oz package fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into ½-inch pieces
- salt and black pepper
- ½ cup pesto, for serving
- grated Parmesan, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the carrots, celery, and onions,¼ teaspoon of salt, and black pepper to taste, and cook until just softened, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until all the vegetables are softened, 5-6 more minutes. Add the garlic and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the broth, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in the vegetable juice and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and zucchini and continue to simmer until they are cooked through and tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide among serving bowls and top each portion with a spoonful of pesto and a sprinkling of Parmesan before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 851mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g