It’s Cinco de Mayo and I’m posting cookies.
I failed you.
But you better believe that I will be buying a Mango-Rita on the way home from soccer and I will be drinking it while watching Blacklist because omg, I need to know what Reddington and Tom are really up to.
Are you watching that? Because you should be.
Even my husband is into it. And he doesn’t like any show I like.
About the cookies! Aren’t they adorable?! If you can find that watermelon cake mix that I have never seen but I know exists, you should definitely use that for this. I used strawberry cake mix but I also spotted a pink velvet cake mix that would work if you aren’t a fan of strawberry.
My kids have been obsessed with watermelon for the last few weeks so they were pretty impressed. And then the neighbor kid spotted them and shouted “OMG YOUR MOM IS THE BEST COOK EVER!”
So yeah. Make them.
More Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box strawberry cake mix, or other pink mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, or vanilla extract
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- green sprinkles
To make the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat together strawberry cake mix, eggs, and oil until no lumps remain. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoonsfuls onto the baking sheets. Bake 8 - 10 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through. Cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Whisk flour into the milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Continue whisking as it thickens to about the thickness of brownie batter. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool completely before proceeding.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add cooled flour mixture and beat until everything is combined and it looks almost like whipped cream. If it separates, you just haven't beaten it enough - keep going!
- Use an offset spatula to spread the frosting on a cookie and top with another cookie. Roll the cookie in sprinkles to cover the frosting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 401Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 3g