Small Batch Red Velvet Cupcakes – only makes 4 cupcakes! Moist delicious red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
First things first, I spent all of yesterday afternoon watching Mockingjay. I had heard pretty horrible things about it and perhaps my standards are low because I watch 3 movies a year but I kind of loved it. Like, I read the books several times so I knew what was happening but I was on the edge of my
seat bed for most of it.
Also, yes, I am a sucker. I bought it on digital because I had to watch it RIGHT THEN and then I’ll buy it again when it comes out on DVD. Even though I’ll probably never watch it again.
This is how I work.
Besides that, I have a small batch Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe for you today! It makes 4 cupcakes which means it’s perfect when you’re in the mood for a sweet treat but don’t want a dozen cupcakes calling your name.
Ingredients for Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Canola oil
- Egg white
- Red food coloring
- White vinegar
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Mini chocolate chips (optional)
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Use an electric mixer to beat together canola oil, sugar, buttermilk, egg white, red food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until combined
- Fold in mini chocolate chips if using
- Divide batter among 4 muffin cups lined with paper lines
- Bake at 350F for 20 – 22 minutes
- Cool completely before frosting
- To make the frosting, beat together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla use smooth
- Frost cupcakes
How Long Are Red Velvet Cupcakes Good For?
Red velvet cupcakes are good for about 3 days.
I would store them in the fridge because of the cream cheese frosting and then let them sit on the counter for a little while before serving because nobody likes cold, hard cake.
More Cupcake Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the cupcakes:
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon white vinegar
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- optional: ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the 4 corners of a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together canola oil, sugar, buttermilk, egg white, red food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until just combined. Fold in the mini chocolate chips, if using.
- Divide the batter into the 4 prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 - 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat together all ingredients until no lumps remain.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 246mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 3g