I have to tell you guys that I’m pretty excited to move on from Thanksgiving related recipes. I had planned on one more post highlighting an idea or 2 for leftover turkey but… uhhh, there is no leftover turkey. You guys have that problem too? My husband is a turkey fiend which works out nicely because when it comes to leftovers, he takes care of the turkey and leaves all the yummy sides for me!
So because I have no turkey left, I made you some soup!
I wandered into Whole Foods last week because Pam had told me that her Whole Foods has butternut squash breakfast sausage. I bee-lined it to the butcher and asked about the sausage and, of course, our store doesn’t sell it but the butcher pointed me in the direction of their butternut squash and crab bisque. Being the polite girl that I am, I snagged a sample even though I don’t like butternut squash or crab. And omg, it was the best soup ever.
I was googling recipes on my phone at every stoplight on the way home, and within days I had all the ingredients in my fridge. It turned out just like the Whole Foods version – kind of sweet from the squash but just the right amount of “meatiness” from the crab. And the ingredients are so simple and wholesome. It is seriously delicious!
from Rocky Mountain News
- In a large (at least 5 quart) soup pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once butter is melted, add squash, onions, carrots, and garlic. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of broth, reserving the rest.
- Cover pot and simmer until squash is very tender (about one hour).
- Add the cream and puree the mixture with a stick blender until very smooth (or blend in batches in blender and return to pan).
- Thin with remaining broth if needed.
- Fold in the crab meat and sage. Season with salt and pepper and serve.