I’m digging the soups lately. Have you noticed?
I really love potato soups but I don’t like how they kind of turn into mashed potatoes once they sit overnight in the fridge. This soup, which uses gnocchi, solves that problem! The soup stays soupy but you still get the potato-ness that you love. It’s so tasty and comforting! Perfect with a slice of crusty bread.
I plan on making this a lot over the next few months but I’ll probably leave out the chicken from now on. The chicken was nice to make it feel like a “real” meal but I think the soup itself is heavy enough to not need it. To make it completely veggie, use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
adapted from A Taste of Home Cooking
- 4 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 2½ cups milk (lowfat or skim is fine)
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (cooked & diced)
- 1 pound gnocchi
- 1 very large handful spinach (coarsley chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Parmesan and green onions (for servings)
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat in a large stock pot. Add onion and saute until the onion just begins to become translucent, about 2 minutes. Add carrots, saute the mixture for another 2 – 3 minutes until both are tender. Add garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil and the flour. Stir to make sure all veggies are coated and continue to stir while the flour cooks. Slowly stir in half and half, milk, and chicken broth. Raise the heat to high and allow to bubble. The mixture will thicken slowly.
- Once it’s thickened, add chicken and gnocchi. The gnocchi only requires about 3 minutes of cooking and will float to the top when it’s done. Once it floats, add the spinach – it will wilt almost immediately. Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Serve piping hot with Parmesan and green onions on top.