The other day I needed hamburger buns but didn’t want to spend $2 on a pack of them when I had all the ingredients I needed to make my own already in my kitchen. I know, homemade buns aren’t an option for everyone but if you have the time, they are a great way to shave some money off your grocery spending AND insure that your family isn’t taking in unnecessary preservatives.
These are my favorite homemade buns. They’re soft, so soft – I wish you guys could reach out and touch that picture. They’re like little clouds. And so delicious. The recipe calls for either onion powder or dried onion which gives them just the faintest onion smell and taste.
If you have the time, you must make these. I have made the dough in the bread machine before so there’s an option for those of you who might be a little afraid of yeast or just don’t feel like kneading. Just trust me, these are good!
Beautiful Burger Buns
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 ¼ â€“ 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or ½ teaspoon dried minced onion
- Combine all the ingredients and mix and knead them together â€“ by hand or mixer â€“ until youâ€™ve made a soft, smooth dough. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it, and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each piece into a flattened ball. Place the buns on greased baking sheets, cover, and let rise 30 â€“ 40 minutes, until theyâ€™re quite puffy.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Bake the buns for 12 minutes, until theyâ€™re golden brown. Remove them from the oven and cool them on a rack. Split and use for burgers or sandwiches.
Lisa McBrayer says
Now I want a burger! Beautiful buns you got there!
natalie (the sweets life) says
I just made homemade buns for the first time on Saturday and they turned out so great! These look delicious too and I’ll have to try these next!
.-= natalie (the sweets life)´s last blog ..Coffee Ice Cream =-.
these buns look incredible! thanks so much for sharing the recipe. i’m definitely going to try making some.
jodye @ 'scend food says
Oh wow, these are quite beautiful! Baking bread is certainly one of my favorite ways to spend time in the kitchen. This is definitely a recipe I would like to try!
Jo Ann Masterjohn says
What a fantastic way to impress your new boyfriend…husband…family. When you can find a recipe that really works, it’s really impressive! It gives your family “bragging rights”. This recipe gives my family, “bragging rights”.
I’m only disabled in my legs. Before that, I was a truck driver called Shooting Star. This ol’ trucker loves to bake good stuff!!
Thank you very much for this recipe. I’ll be using it over and over again!! ;-)
Shooting Star since 1977
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday says
Oh I love baking homemade bread!
.-= Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday´s last blog ..advanced yoga review =-.