The other day I needed hamburger buns but didn’t want to spend $2 on a pack of them when I had all the ingredients I needed to make my own already in my kitchen. I know, homemade buns aren’t an option for everyone but if you have the time, they are a great way to shave some money off your grocery spending AND insure that your family isn’t taking in unnecessary preservatives.
These are my favorite homemade buns. They’re soft, so soft – I wish you guys could reach out and touch that picture. They’re like little clouds. And so delicious. The recipe calls for either onion powder or dried onion which gives them just the faintest onion smell and taste.
If you have the time, you must make these. I have made the dough in the bread machine before so there’s an option for those of you who might be a little afraid of yeast or just don’t feel like kneading. Just trust me, these are good!
Beautiful Burger Buns
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 ¼ â€“ 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or ½ teaspoon dried minced onion
- Combine all the ingredients and mix and knead them together â€“ by hand or mixer â€“ until youâ€™ve made a soft, smooth dough. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it, and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each piece into a flattened ball. Place the buns on greased baking sheets, cover, and let rise 30 â€“ 40 minutes, until theyâ€™re quite puffy.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Bake the buns for 12 minutes, until theyâ€™re golden brown. Remove them from the oven and cool them on a rack. Split and use for burgers or sandwiches.