Candy Corn Roll Up Cookies – the cutest Halloween cookies! Sugar cookie dough is dyed yellow and orange and rolled together before baking. These are easy and so fun!
Halloween is one week away! Are you ready?! I think we are – bought the costumes, bought the candy, ate all the Snickers and Twix, so yeah… I think we’re ready. Now all I have left to do is share some Halloween ideas with y’all!
And this is the first one. Remember those candy corn cookies I did last year? These are like those but swirly! They’re just as easy too. You start with a batch of sugar cookie dough (you could buy the rolls of cookie dough if you want) and dye the dough. Then you stack them on top of each other, roll them up, and slice. See, real easy and real cute!
My kids were so excited by these but they were pretty sad that they didn’t taste like candy corn. ha! Maybe one day someone will make a candy corn extract for things like this.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon orange gel food color
- 1/8 teaspoon yellow gel food color
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy; add egg and orange peel and beat until combined. Sift in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; beat until just combined.
- Divide dough into thirds. Tint one portion orange and one portion yellow; leave remaining portion plain. Flatten each portion into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 20 minutes.
- On separate sheets of waxed paper lightly dusted with powdered sugar, roll each portion of dough into 12x9-inch rectangle. Place orange rectangle on top of yellow rectangle. Top with plain dough rectangle. Starting on a long side, roll dough into a cylinder. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375F. Use a very sharp knife to cut dough into 1/4-inch slices. Place on parchment lined baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on baking sheet for 1 minute before moving to a wire rack to cool.