I have been in a bit of a blogging slump lately. I had a few baked good duds last week and since then, I haven’t had motivation to cook, bake, or blog. It is something that happens to me every few months and it’s one of those things that you really can’t force. But if there’s one thing I know, cupcakes can bring just about anyone out of a funk.
These are amazing. They are a brown sugar cake that’s filled with “cookie dough” (don’t try to bake it) and then topped with brown sugar buttercream. I had worried that the cookie dough part wouldn’t be obvious, that it would just be a sweet cake stuffed with an even sweeter filling but on his first bite my husband said, “This tastes like a cookie!”
adapted from Annie's Eats
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners (about 20). In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and brown sugar. Beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir together to blend. Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl on low speed, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, mixing each addition just until incorporated. Blend in the vanilla. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the cookie dough filling, combine the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the flour, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until incorporated and smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the mixture has firmed up a bit, about an hour.
- To fill the cupcakes, cut a cone-shaped portion out of the center of each cupcake. Fill each hole with a chunk of the chilled cookie dough mixture.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until creamy. Mix in the confectioners sugar until smooth. Mix in the salt, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth and well blended.
- Frost the filled cupcakes as desired, sprinkling with mini chocolate chips for decoration.