My husband and I talk about food a lot. What he wants me to make. What I want to blog. What we wish we were eating right this second. Our last few conversations have centered around tomatoes and how they’re usually too mushy for us. So this past Friday night when I was grocery shopping (too much excitement for you, right?) I sent him a text saying I picked up some green tomatoes and his response was… well, not appropriate for a family friendly blog such as this. ;) Let’s just say he was scared.
As soon as I saw the tomatoes I knew what I wanted to do with them. BLTs are one of our favorite meals and I thought a fried green tomato would kind of shake things up a little bit without adding much work to the simple meal. And they did exactly that. They added a whole new texture with the crispy cornmeal crust that just really put the sandwich over the top. I’m not sure we’ll be able to go back to eating regular BLTs after this!
For the tomatoes:
- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- about ¾ cup canola oil, for frying
For the sandwiches:
- Kaiser rolls
- mayo, mustard, any other condiments
- bacon, sliced in half and cooked
- iceberg lettuce
- Pour oil in a heavy-bottomed pan; heat over medium-high heat.
- Whisk egg and milk together in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- On a plate, stir together flour, cornmeal, Panko, salt, and pepper.
- Once oil is heated, dip tomato slices one by one in egg and then flour. Make sure tomato is coated in flour mixture and then place in oil. Fry 3 or 4 at a time, making sure not to crowd the tomatoes. Fry for about 3 minutes or until the crust is a golden brown; flip and cook other side until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Assemble sandwiches and enjoy!