My husband and I talk about food a lot. What he wants me to make. What I want to blog. What we wish we were eating right this second. Our last few conversations have centered around tomatoes and how they’re usually too mushy for us. So this past Friday night when I was grocery shopping (too much excitement for you, right?) I sent him a text saying I picked up some green tomatoes and his response was… well, not appropriate for a family friendly blog such as this. ;) Let’s just say he was scared.
As soon as I saw the tomatoes I knew what I wanted to do with them. BLTs are one of our favorite meals and I thought a fried green tomato would kind of shake things up a little bit without adding much work to the simple meal. And they did exactly that. They added a whole new texture with the crispy cornmeal crust that just really put the sandwich over the top. I’m not sure we’ll be able to go back to eating regular BLTs after this!
Fried Green Tomato BLT
For the tomatoes:
- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- about ¾ cup canola oil, for frying
For the sandwiches:
- Kaiser rolls
- mayo, mustard, any other condiments
- bacon, sliced in half and cooked
- iceberg lettuce
- Pour oil in a heavy-bottomed pan; heat over medium-high heat.
- Whisk egg and milk together in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- On a plate, stir together flour, cornmeal, Panko, salt, and pepper.
- Once oil is heated, dip tomato slices one by one in egg and then flour. Make sure tomato is coated in flour mixture and then place in oil. Fry 3 or 4 at a time, making sure not to crowd the tomatoes. Fry for about 3 minutes or until the crust is a golden brown; flip and cook other side until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Assemble sandwiches and enjoy!
*Just Fran* says
I had never had a fried green tomato before, but loved it as an addition to a BLT. Perfect for those end of season tomatoes rescued from the frost. Thanks for sharing!
.-= *Just Fran*´s last blog ..Simple Saturdays =-.
I love BLT’s and Fried Green Tomato ones are amazing. I had a fantastic one in DC this past summer- this is def bringing those memories back.
.-= nicole´s last blog ..Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream =-.
Emily Z says
Hi there, thank you so much for stopping by my blog. This BLT sandwich sounds awesome. I love fried green tomatoes! It’s nice to meet you! =)
Angie's Recipes says
The only BLT I had was a noodle salad. Your hamburger looks simple yet very flavurful and tasty!
.-= Angie’s Recipes´s last blog ..Honey Roasted Almonds =-.
I love BLT’s. And have only have fried green tomatoes once but I think they would make a fantastic BLT. Love the idea! Also love the Red Velvet Cookies (yeah, I don’t get the hype about red velvet but the colour is fabulous!) and your Ginger Snaps! Thanks for comment on my blog!
This looks incredible! I’ll have to keep my eye out for green tomatoes!