Bacon Mushroom Mac and Cheese – the BEST macaroni and cheese recipe! Pasta, bacon, and mushrooms in a decadent creamy sauce made with sharp cheddar and swiss cheese and topped with crunchy panko breadcrumbs.
Alternately titled “Best Mac & Cheese Ever”.
Honestly, I’m not much of a mac & cheese person but I tend to experiment with it a lot since my husband loves it and I get tired of his favorite version that features diced ham and canned mushrooms.
Awhile back I saw a recipe for bacon macaroni and cheese and made a mental note to remember it but then what happened? I forgot where I saw it. Doesn’t that always happen?
So I set out to come up with my own recipe and it’s perfect. So ridiculously decadent with all the cheese and bacon and baby bella mushrooms.
How To Make Bacon Mushroom Mac and Cheese
- Boil pasta according to package instructions
- While pasta is boiling, cook bacon until crisp; remove using a slotted spoon
- Cook mushrooms in some of the bacon fat until browned
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter and whisk in flour until smooth
- Whisk in chicken broth and heavy cream until thickened
- Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Add pasta to the cheese sauce and transfer to a baking dish
- Sprinkle panko bread crumbs over top and lightly spray with olive oil
- Bake for 20 minutes until the dish is bubbly and the breadcrumbs are browned
How Long is Homemade Mac and Cheese Good For?
Homemade mac and cheese should be good in the fridge for up to 4 days. Make sure it’s covered tightly.
To reheat, you can use the microwave but if you want the panko topping the crisp back up, putting it in the oven for a few minutes is the best option.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
- Slow Cooker Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
- Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
- Ranch Macaroni and Cheese
- Creamy Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound small pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream, or milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 cups extra sharp white cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup Swiss, shredded
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- spray olive oil
- Bring a lot pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta is boiling, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is cooked and slightly crispy. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Pour off some of the bacon grease (or all & add a little more olive oil to the pan) and add mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are browned and soft, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour until mixture is smooth. Slowly add in chicken broth and cream, whisking the whole time. Continue whisking until the sauce has thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Once pasta is al dente, drain and put in large bowl. Add bacon, mushrooms, and cheese sauce and stir to combine. Pour into prepared 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle panko bread crumbs over the entire pan and spray lightly with olive oil. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until pasta is bubbly and panko is slightly browned.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 750Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 1263mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 34g