An easy way to get some veggies! Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese is creamy and delicious – you won’t even notice the squash!
My squash obsession continues!
I’ve even changed my grocery store because the HEB right by my house never has winter squash. So now I drive to the next city (about 3 miles away – ha!) to the HEB that does have squash.
Yesterday I was feeling particularly lazy and just went to the one close by and yep, I am squashless this week.
Whyyyy?! Why can’t they have squash?
And what is a girl supposed to eat for breakfast if she has no acorn squash?!
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese!
My husband’s ultimate favorite food is macaroni and cheese so I tend not to mess with it too much. But he’s been eating mostly paleo so I figured I’d make this for the kids and make him something else for dinner and then he couldn’t complain that I RUINED HIS MACARONI AND CHEESE!
And then guess what.
He ate over half of that dish.
He is obsessed.
He’s already asked me to make it again.
He kept telling me how light it was and how he didn’t feel disgusted after eating it. It has significantly less cheese than my usual mac and cheese recipe so it really does feel a lot lighter.
I didn’t tell the kids there was squash in it and they happily ate it for dinner and asked for more.
It’s really easy to make too. If you are pressed for time, look for already cubed butternut squash near the salad mixes and chopped broccoli in your grocery store. I haaaate cutting squash and feel no shame buying the already cut stuff sometimes.
More Butternut Squash Recipes
- Autumn Squash Soup (Panera Copycat)
- Turkey and Butternut Squash Chili
- Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 3 cups butter nut squash, cubed
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black Pepper
- 1 ¼ cups Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 ¼ cups Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 pound small pasta
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with oil.
- Bring butternut squash ans chicken broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium and simmer until squash is fork tender, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer the hot mixture to a blender and add milk, garlic, Greek yogurt, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and stir in Swiss cheese and 1 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain well. Stir into the squash mixture. Pour pasta into the prepared baking pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and the bread crumbs. Top the pasta with this mixture and dot with butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 813mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 16g