Happy last day of the work week!!
As I promised last week, I’m back with more ice cream! This one is even better than that amazing vanilla bean!
Butter pecan has never really been a favorite of mine but every once in a while I get a wild hair and buy a small container. I had always assumed that the butter flavor in butter pecan came from the little bottled butter flavoring. But this recipe? Has 6 tablespoons of butter in it! And you can taste every tablespoon. So rich, so decadent, so perfect! It tastes just like store-bought butter pecan but even more buttery, if that’s possible. It’s like frozen pecan pie minus all the gooeyness.
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- In a heat-proof bowl, whisk egg yolks. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Cook, stirring constantly, until it just begins to brown. Add brown sugar and salt, stirring until sugar melts.
- Slowly pour in the heavy cream and milk, stirring the whole time. Continue to heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Do not let the mixture boil!
- Slowly add about ½ cup of the milk mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly. Add the warmed egg mixture to the saucepan with the rest of the milk.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom while stirring. Heat until mixture slightly thickens and coats the spatula (5-7 minutes).
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into a large bowl. Stir in the vanilla. Cover and chill mixture thoroughly.
- Once mixture has chilled, toast pecans on a baking sheet at 350F for 6 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.
- Freeze the ice cream according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once fully churned, stir in prepared pecans and transfer to a freezer-safe container. Freeze for many hours before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 187mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 6g