Lemon Raspberry Coffee Cake – light and fluffy coffee cake with a cream cheese lemon raspberry layer in the middle!
Why yes, this is the 2nd coffee cake I’ve posted in the past week. I told you guys I liked to eat cake for breakfast!
This coffee cake is different from others that I’ve made. To me, coffee cake is a little denser than, say, a birthday cake but this one has more of the birthday cake texture. It also has a cheesecake filling in the center but mine kind of blended in with the rest of the cake. The recipe makes it sound like there are supposed to be distinctive layers but like I said, mine just melted into the cake as it baked. You can still taste it though, and that’s the important part! And last but not least, raspberries!
I absolutely love the lemon and berry combination and it was especially lovely in this fluffy cake. It’s also very good with whipped cream.
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the cake:
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
For the cheesecake filling:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 375F. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
To make the cake:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt making sure to remove any lumps. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar and the butter with mixer on medium until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla; beat on medium for another minute. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to the sugar mixture, beating just until combined after each addition; set aside.
To make the cheesecake filling:
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar on medium until combined. Add lemon zest and egg; beat until combined
- Spoon half the cake batter into prepared pan, spreading to edges. Pour the cheesecake filling on top and spread it to the edges. Spoon remaining batter on cheesecake filling and spread to the edges. Gently press raspberries into the cake.
- Bake 50 - 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Use a sharp knife to loosen the edges of the cake; remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 4g